Friday, May 22, 2009

Can't wait to be a SCUBA girl!!!!!!!

Yesterday i accomplished something i was extremely nervous to do... i went diving in my schools lake! I went down 20 feet to the platform and the reason this is scary is because there is NO visibility in this lake, i could hardly see the instructor in front of me! It was very dark and hard for me to breathe, i had to try so hard to calm myself down...eventually i could focus and i did over half the skills i had to! Now the next dive tom. will complete my certification! All i kept thinking under water was "New Zealand...New Zealand...New Zealand... i have to do this!" haha I was under the longest for 50 minutes straight and came across one tiny fish who fled before i could look twice, an ugly barrel and a toilet!!! Not quite how i envisioned my first dive... it was the furthest from magical but it was still awesome breathing under water for that long! As many of you know i have been having difficulties diving because of my ears, the pressure hurts so bad i couldn't even go down the first times i tried. I was beginning to get so discouraged, especially after i missed out on the keys trip now this! but yesterday i went down with no pain in my ears and didn't even realize when my fin hit the platform, the second time down was even faster and now i am so relieved that i CAN do this! All i can look forward to is my future dives and being able to see all the things i love so much, once i get my certification the barrier is broken between me and the underwater world and i can not wait! Today i am going to write my pre-departure paper assignment that is due on what i expect to gain from this experience... i expect to gain the skills and experience i need to have a career in this field, more knowledge on the environment outside of SW FL, some independence from living on my own in another country, adventure, long-lasting memories, new friends and so much more! This is all so exciting for me but it does not mean i don't get choked up about leaving... I'm very close with my family, my boyfriend and friends and 11 weeks is the longest I've ever gone away. I know the airport goodbyes Tuesday morning are going to be the toughest. And that the first few weeks their are going to be a big adjustment but I've wanted to do something like this my whole entire life, i hardly ever travel and this is the first time i will be going out of the country! With this all said...
only 4 more days until New Zealand!!!!!!!!!