Monday, June 1, 2009

The New Zealand look! :o)

I'm very nervous and excited about tomorrow... it will be my first day of work at the Auckland Universities Earth and Oceanic Science Research Institute! I'm not sure what to expect but i know for tom. it's most likely an introduction and planning out the next few weeks.

I'm so exhausted from today, i have done sooooo much walking and the roads are NOT flat all the time, i love the exercise but sometimes we splurge a 50 cent NZ coin to grab the bus! lol All the girls and i got up early to do some shopping since we have found out that our wardrobes are not quite the trendy NZ look! Usually we wouldn't mind but we tried to go to a nicer place to eat and here music and he said they weren't open! then let in 8 others who dressed up! We were a little offended but jeans don't cut it here at some places, during the day everyone is very casual but it gets completely different around 9 or later, after observing everyone we figured it out quick and got some NZ brands that are quite trendy it was so fun shopping in their stores the atmosphere and music was fun and new...we've also all accepted the fact that we look like a huge group of tourists lol it's so obvious when at every corner we're all snapping pictures :o) now we'll blend in a little better at least.
While shopping we went into Esquires their coffee shop, it is so popular it is on every corner, now we know why! I had the BEST hot cocoa ever and they even put a heart in it! <3








We also saw someone jump of the skytower harnessed between two vertical ropes doing a free fall to the ground!!!! I'm not sure i can handle doing that myself but i'll watch my friends! We ventured further out of the city and stumbled upon a cute park with trees and benches and more food and shops, that part of the city had less big tall buildings and had a very different feel, the trees on both sides of the roads reminded me of fall in NY and it was beautiful.






I found some more palm trees! makes me think of home.


This is AUT where i'll be working this summer! yay!


On our last harbour tour they gave us a free round trip to devonport and back so we took a boat ride over there to explore and see the city at night on the way back. It was very pretty at night but not too busy out since it was their holiday everything closed early. Now i'm home and just cooked some pasta for Lara and I and had salad, we're going to bed early to be rested for work. Without being out and talking to the girls I don't know what to do, I'm very homesick at the moment. I'm really looking forward to friday morning though, we planned our first trip it's a 4 hour bus ride and there is so much to do there! I'm getting pretty tired so goodnight everyone... or should i say good morning!!!? :o)

On the ferry with our new hats <3



This is a video to show Auckland at night clearer for you...