Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July week in Auckland!! represent the USA in the EnZed!

This week has been a crazy week here in Auckland!!!! We have 3 more new Australearns! Courtney and tyer came earlier in the week and Natalie showed up yesterday! There are now 15 total! We draw a lot of attention to ourselves for being such a large group of loud Americans!
We decided to take the new two out with us to show them the city and so everyone can have fun together! I will never forget the friends i have made here, we have all become so close and hopefully stay that way even after this experience is over. I have lots of different states to visit now!

Brandie, Court, ME, Lara, Nigeen and Hannah!


The next morning (Thursday) after we went out i woke up early and it was FINALLY my turn to go on the boat for work! The weather finally worked out in my favor and i was so excited! Instead of taking video of the sediment bottom for analysis like the other interns had done, i was helping getting the sediment samples from the ocean bottom using a grab device. The grab was a heavy metal claw looking thing and it snapped shut once it hit the bottom. We had to get 40 samples that day so we continuously went to the sites and pulled them up. When it was my turn to try i was ready but then i realised that it was such a work out! I am not the strongest person and my back was sore but they watched me do about 12 in a row! Then Clara stepped in and helped and i went back to putting the samples in the bags to rest my back and hands some! haha I really appreciate the work even more now, a lot more goes into it than i thought. The boat rides in between sites were so peaceful, it was a little cold but i had on so many layers i felt like a marshmellow! The islands around were so pretty and we saw some swimming penguins! No dolphins this time though :( After we got all the samples Emma, Severine and Clara thanked me for helping and said i did a great job, Severine said i'm a badass now because the other interns never had to take grabs yet which was not as easy! I was proud of myself for trying it and i learned a lot during the entire day. Emma was our "skipper" and she's like me, she works on marine mammals like whale and dolphin dietary work and she has been diving in the Keys and loves seaworld! So i really liked her a lot! I'm excited to go on the boat and do some video though too because it won't make me sore the next day. The work they do at AUT is so important and i feel so lucky to be a part of it in the short time i'm here.



The AUT research boat, very cozy for 4 people! lol



My sexy boots and pants with the mud samples all over me! Successful day!

Friday Lara and I bonded all day long and did some souvenier and grocery shopping! Lara surprised me with a really pretty dolphin necklace! She's the BEST! The weather was so nice and not even that cold so i really enjoyed walking around the city without any rain :) That night we found a PITA PIT!!!!! of course we HAD to get some so i got a BLT pita and it felt like home i was so happy and it really hit the spot! After dinner we had some wine and chocolate to relax in our apartment and play loud music from lyrics.com singing Jai Ho at the top of our lungs! haha They love that song here!



New Zealand has only one location?! USA is deff hogging the pita pits lol

While I was having fun with Lara in the room in my PJ's the others ambushed me and Lara was in on it to get me to go out! I was so tired but the quote "when else are you in New Zealand" is always thrown around and then i go for it... I'm glad i went though because i had so much fun with everyone and at midnight the 4th of July hit and we had to represent the USA and sang patriotic songs in the streets of Auckland! Some people laughed and cheered with us others didn't, here are some photos from the night...


Some random band was at our usual spot, she was so weird! haha
Saturday was the 4th of July!!!! Some of us went out the night before so we just stayed in our tiny apartments and played more patriotic songs and sara had her camera out so we have many music videos from the night! I even rapped some once again, my nickname since week one has been SNOOP and it will never go away now! lol We sang some Michael Jackson (RIP) and all did the thriller dance! I will never forget the memories i have had with my friends here.

Sara and I
Hannahconda in the middle!
Happy 4th of July!

Thriller!!!!!!!! Thriller nights!!!
Sunday I was super excited because the weather was finally okay to go to the Auckland ZOO! I'm so happy we didn't have to travel this weekend and live out of a suitcase, it was fun exploring the city some more! The Zoo was soooo huge and i saw soooo many animals!!!!! It was GREAT!



A NEW ZEALAND KIWI..they only come out at night!

King of the Jungle!
I <3 ZTA


My new pet! Hopefully i can get him past customs in the airport!
DAD! what are you doing in NZ!!!!! hahahaha JK love you!
Never too old to have FUN!


Intense.


Granny monkey lol
SEAL!!!!
As seen on Meerkat manner! i LOVE watching animal planet! haha
one of my favorite LAND animals, 'cause we all know my all time favorite!
another nickname of mine since i was like 5 was monkeyface...love the hat! hahaha

The rainbow was the perfect end to an exciting day at the ZOOO :)
This entire week was loads of fun but i have definitely been missing home big time, I'm just glad that I have friends so close to me when i'm feeling homesick, I've never been gone this long on my own i feel like i'm changing but in a good way, just growing up and the things that I have seen and done here are things I have always wanted to do. I'm very blessed and thank God every day for the oppurtunities and experiences I have and for all the amazing people I love waiting for me at home.
<3